Monday, August 17, 2009

Survival Cooking.05 :: 麻婆豆腐四川風(家庭走辣版)


After deciding the title for this post I started typing the content and hit a dead end on the 2nd sentence....So I backspaced the hell out of there, crossed my arms and just stopped.

WTF is 麻婆豆腐 in english? Directly pronounced from Japanese/Cantonese (like in between) it'll sound like "Ma-bo Doufu". But that doesn't really translate coz we still look like a bunch of pigeons. The chinese characters in english would mean....Numb..biOld Lady Bean Curd.....That sounds like a diss so that prolly ain't right. It was a waste of time trying so I just Wiki-ed the damn characters and got.....

...Mapo Doufu

Ok Mapo Doufu it is. The whole dish basically is Bean-curd with minced beef and spicy pepper sauce. The origin comes from a Pock-marked old lady making a bean-curd dish, so the name ended up being 麻婆豆腐. MA-PO DOU-FU. Anyways you can check her out later if you're interested. So the title for this post is "Mapo Doufu Sichuan Style" (マーボーどうふシセンふう かていソウラーばん)

A bit long already so I'll make things short. There are many ways to make MAPO DOUFU but things should be kept nice and simple at home so you can ditch the fancy stuff like chili flakes and rice wine. What you do need is garlic, fermented black beans, chili broad bean paste(豆瓣酱), chili oil, spring onions and minced meat(can be pork or beef).↓


Just throw them all in, cook a bit, dust some salt, add few blocks of bean-curd and you're done. Don't need to add any extra water because the pork and bean-curd provides enough moist. Just one thing to note is not to smash the bean-curd too much or it'll turn pasty...which I almost pulled off.

The taste was pretty good. Not as spicy as I preferred. It's gotta be lip-numbing spicy if you label it "Sichuan Style". The people in Sichuan would beat the shit out of me if I served this, so 6 it is.

★★★★★★☆☆☆☆ (6/10)

5 comments:

world of sekimachihato said...

heck, you are quite the chef!
the one time i made numb old lady bean curd i just used 麻婆豆腐のモト・・・。

GL said...

nah. I just threw in some ingredients and mixed them lol. In a way 麻婆豆腐のモト is the way to go coz at least it tastes right..

Rin said...

my signature dish! ma po tofu~let me try urs!

Unknown said...

WTF you saying you cooked that cook that? you cook?

GL said...

■Rin
Ya right! How come I've never seen or heard of it before.

■drrayli
WTF what a surprise! lol Yea..but just the easy dishes with instructions. BTW when can I try your stuff I KNOW you're skilled.

Related Posts with Thumbnails