Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recent Films :: FEB.-MAR. mix

Yes Man
★★★★★★★★★☆(9/10)

One of Jim Carrey's best in a long time. Gotta give props to him. He still has it and it never gets old. Zooey Deschanel was very cute in the movie, which was a blind spot for me because I wasn't expecting anything from her at all. The CG was great actually, even if it doesn't look like any type of CG film. Really subtle and effective. Those are the ones that should be most credited for. I believe a lot of people don't even notice the CG that was used in certain scenes. Anyways, overall a unique and positive message to a majority of the spoiled world today, and I recommend it (on DVD, now..) to anyone, even if you don't like Jim Carrey.


Slumdog Millionaire
★★★★★★★★☆☆(8/10)

Like always, the people of Hong Kong order tickets, queue an unbelievably long line to save a seat for the current show, all hyped up for the film.

Because it swept the Academy Awards.

I have to say it was a very good film. Portraying a characters life through the Millionaire game isn't exactly genius but the background (India) and clever plot structuring really lit the whole movie out of the dark. It wouldn't be half as good if it was a story about a bloke in Japan, or Hong Kong, or New York I think you get it. The environment, casts, music, atmosphere, color themes and clever production all matched really well, creating a chemical reaction that will pull you in through out the whole movie, hell even after the movie. Just one thing I was concerned about is the "I can see you from a mile away" pattern through out the movie (I won't point out anything) but that may be a minor issue considering you may be deeply sucked into the movie by the time you realize it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails