Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Survival Cooking.02 :: Fried Rice

Been slacking off lately from my survival missions(and I've only learned 1 so far). As I watch TV and continue witnessing the chics dominance over men, I decided it was time to put my foot down again. Since I spilled my intension on these suicide missions here, I'll just go right on with what's cooking.

Fried Rice (炒飯・チャーハン)

One of the basics of the basics Chinese cuisine, fried rice is basically...fried rice with mixed ingredients. So you just dump whatever you feel like eating today in a pack of cold rice and chow. EasyPeasy.

(Surprisingly)Not quite

Mainly everything is done with a wok and hoak ladle. I used the traditional kind without any enhanced coating so the whole "wok" needs to be heated thoroughly before anything happens to prevent the rice and ingredients to stick on the surface. (The woks or fry pans nowadays are mostly coated, but in case you're a caveman like me..)After heating 1 minute each on 4 sides (上下左右) coat the wok with salad oil.



The following goes in this order:
1. spring onions
2. eggs
3. rice
4. pork



Onions go in first fried directly with oil to bring out the smell to max. Then the eggs go in so the onions will be mixed into the scrambled eggs and therefore maintain shape rather than being hung around loose in the dish. Switch the fire off and throw in the rice. Mush the rice a bit and add some seasoning (salt / pepper) before turning the fire back on. The pork goes in last to avoid being overdone. The rest is just stirring everything together until you can't stand the hunger. No I didn't do the flip thingy, to avoid obvious reasons. Maybe some other day.

That's basically it. I learned you can basically throw in anything but the order you stir it in makes quite a difference so the process needs to be considered depending on your ingredients.

The taste?

★★★★★★★☆☆☆(7/10)

Could've added more seasoning. And it wasn't stirred thorough enough. And I didn't do the flip thingy. Next time....

4 comments:

Amie said...

Gordon! you need to check out my HASHBROWNS!!!!!! SO YUMMY!!!!!!!

GL said...

Amie! I don't know if it's yummy until you give me some. :)

Rin said...

gordonnnnnnn...when can I try them???! I am hungry now!

GL said...

find one day....when I need a poison tester. You'll be the one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails