Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Survival Cooking.04 :: Pork Curry (No Style)


Didn't realize how long it's been since I left the damn couch.

After watching what Emmerich is doing to us I decided it was time to prepare for the future (again).

Curry and Ramen (noodles) is probably one of the most popular menus in Japan (heck, in the world) so you probably see a section in your local supermarket with a exclusive lane filled with all the instants. It's really handy and the Japanese put extra attention to details (and the fly trap packaging), professional curry out of the box. But this time I went with curry powder, from zilch style.

In Japan yogurt, cocoa, apple and chocolate (yes chocolate), are commonly used for hidden flavors/spices but unfortunately I had none of the above so I just threw in some onions, potatoes and pickled pork. Ofcourse from the previous session, onions first, to pop some smell. Pork, curry powder, water and then potatoes. Cook for about 20 minutes and you're good to go.

What I learnt this time is that the potatoes give the thickness to the curry. Before cutting the potatoes into blocks, cut some chips so they melt, resulting in a more creamy gravy. Maybe common sense but I didn't know how much to put in so it turned out a bit thinner than what I prefer. Pork covered for it though.

★★★★★★★☆☆☆ (7/10)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails